The tree is a non-linear data structure, unlike Linked List and Arrays. It is a hierarchical data structure as each node can have many children which are arranged in multiple levels. In Tree data structure, the topmost node is the root node. Each node contains some data and references to other nodes which are called children.
There are various applications of Tree:-
- The information that we store in our computers is in the form of a hierarchy where every folder has some files stored in it. Every folder can have many sub folders which also represent hierarchy. Each subfolder or folder can have many files like HTML documents, etc.
- Self Balancing Search Trees like AVL Tree, Red-Black Tree, etc. We can search for any element in BST (Binary Search Tree) in O(log N) time which is much faster than searching in other data structures like Linked List, Arrays, etc.
- Heap is one of the other tree data structures which uses an array to store elements of the nodes and it is used to implement a priority queue. Min Heap and Max Heap are two types of the heap where Min Heap has parent smaller than all of its children and Max Heap has parent Node greater than all of its children.
- Trie is one of the data structures used to implement insertion, search and start with the operation for a word.
- A spanning tree ( Minimum Spanning Tree implemented using Prim’s algorithm and Kruskal’s algorithm ) is one tree that connects all vertices of a graph with a minimum number of edges.
- Btree and B+tree are some of the applications of tree that are used to index the data and provide fast access to actual data stored on the disk.
- Syntax Tree is used to represent the structure of a program’s source code for the compiler to use.
- It is also used as the workflow for compositing digital images for visual effects also.
- The tree data structure is also used to store the data in routing tables in the routers.
- Suffix Tree has various applications like finding the longest repeated substring, longest common substring, etc.
Other Important articles on Tree:
Special thanks to Gurmeet Singh for contributing to this article on takeUforward. If you also wish to share your knowledge with the takeUforward fam, please check out this article